Economical and environmentally compatible, safe and reliable: Your expectations of a high-performance power supply are high. Welcome to SÜDKABEL.
Pioneers of cable technology
At your service for almost 125 years
We at SÜDKABEL are proud of our origins – and of what has been developed and realized in Mannheim for almost 125 years. After all, we not only manufacture cables and accessories of the highest quality, but also do pioneering work – especially in the field of XLPE technology. This progress is supported by people with the most diverse qualifications and experience. They shape the face of SÜDKABEL – and bring our company forward with know-how.
Today’s SÜDKABEL GmbH has changed its name a few times over the past 125 years. Always remained constant, is the focus on quality and innovation.
- The cable factory in Mannheim was founded in 1898 under the name Süddeutsche Kabelwerke (Südkabel).
- In 1970, the Kabel- und Lackdrahtfabriken GmbH (Kabel+Draht) was formed by merging several companies.
- Kabel+Draht was owned by Brown, Boveri & Cie. for 18 years. AG (BBC). With the formation of ABB AG through the merger of Asea and BBC, the name of the company was changed to ABB Kabel und Draht GmbH in 1988.
- From 1997, the power cable activities were continued under the company name ABB Energiekabel GmbH.
- On January 1, 2004, Johann Erich Wilms acquired the cable and accessories plant with all its activities in Mannheim from ABB. Since then, the company has once again borne the traditional name SÜDKABEL GmbH.