Economical and environmentally compatible, safe and reliable: Your expectations of a high-performance power supply are high. Welcome to Südkabel.
Pioneers of cable technology
At your service for almost 125 years
We at Südkabel are proud of our origins – and of what has been developed in Mannheim for almost 125 years. After all, we not only manufacture cables and accessories of the highest quality, but also do pioneering work – especially in the field of XLPE technology. This progress is driven by people with a wide range of qualifications and experience. They shape the face of Südkabel – and drive our company forward with their with their know-how.
Today’s Südkabel GmbH has changed its name several times over the past 125 years. What has always remained constant is the focus on quality and innovation.
- The cable factory in Mannheim was founded in 1898 under the name Süddeutsche Kabelwerke (Südkabel).
- In 1970, several companies merged to form Kabel- und Lackdrahtfabriken GmbH (Kabel+Draht).
- Kabel+Draht was owned by Brown, Boveri & Cie. for 18 years. AG (BBC). With the foundation of ABB AG through the merger of Asea and BBC, the name of the company was changed to ABB Kabel und Draht GmbH in 1988.
- From 1997, the power cable activities were continued under the company name ABB Energiekabel GmbH.
- On January 1, 2004, Johann Erich Wilms acquired the cable and accessories plant with all its activities in Mannheim from ABB. Since then, the company has become once again ist traditional name Südkabel GmbH.